Monday, April 18, 2011

{Healthy Bee} Not your Mama's Meatloaf

I am a big fan of running and a few years ago I started a subscription to Runner's World Magazine. Not only did I learn helpful tips for running and working out, but I was able to learn some awesome recipes to fuel my body for my runs and workouts. I was pleasantly surprised to find the recipes to be delicious and sustaining. You can even visit their website to find a variety of recipes to fit your needs and your taste buds!

When you think of mealoaf, you probably think of some grody slop of meat that you may have been forced to eat as a child. Well let me say that this meatloaf recipe is a bit different. This recipe is packed with extra vegetables and oat bran that increases nutrients and decreases calories, while still providing you with the fuel your body needs. Even my husband and baby both enjoy the taste!

Meatloaf
By Liz Applegate Ph.D.

1lb extra-lean ground beef or ground turkey
1 medium onion
1 large stalk celery
1 large carrot
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup parsley
1/2 large red pepper
1/2 cup oat bran
1 egg, slightly beaten
1 small (6oz) can tomato paste
Salt and pepper to taste
Ketchup in squirt bottle

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Finely chop the onion, celery, carrot, garlic, parsley, and pepper in a food processor. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pack meat into a 9 x 11" glass baking dish coated with vegetable spray. Decorate top with a squirt of ketchup and evenly distribute. Bake for one hour to 1 1/2 hours. Serves six. 

Calories: 180
Fat: 5g
Carbs: 16g
Protein: 20g

Even more, this is such an easy recipe, you can't fail even if you tried! Now go ahead and give it a go! Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment