Monday, February 21, 2011

{Sugar Bee} Gotta Eat Your Veggies!

The other day my cousin informed me that his birthday was coming up and for his birthday he wanted me to make him healthy cupcakes. Well, initially I thought that this request was a bit of a challenge...a bit of an oxymoron really. Then I got to thinking...fruits and veggies are healthy!

So I started with a strawberry cake and used applesauce instead of vegetable oil to reduce the calories and fat. Then to add a little extra strawberry flavor, I added a hint of strawberry preserves. But the more obvious form of "healthy" came in the appearance of the cupcakes.

Taking part of the "TV Dinner" instructions from the "Hello, Cupcake!" book I designed the cupcake to look like peas and carrots. Then topped the cupcakes off with broccoli spears, which I learned how to make from the "Chinese Takeout" instructions in my "What's New, Cupcake?" book.
Overall, I think they turned out very cute and look incredibly "healthy". Even more, they are a good reminder to eat your veggies!

1 comment: